Wednesday, July 14

In the interest of continuing the tradition, I'll briefly review the Cake concert I went to on July 2nd out at Point State Park.

This concert gets the thumbs-up if for no other reason than it cost only a $1. Point State Park isn't the ideal concert venue, but then again, it's not intended to be. And for $1, who can complain. What was humorous was the $5 "VIP Section". I mean, you'd have to be some kind of VIP to flash that kind of cash.

Anyway, I thought Cake put on a very good show. They're a goofy, genre-defying band that's a lot of fun, but has enough weight to push them out of the "guilty pleasure" category. I really enjoyed the opening song "Comanche" if only for the great, classic-Cake lyrics ("You need to straighten your posture and suck in your gut/You need to pull back your shoulders and tighten your butt..."). The banter with the audience was also good, especially when lead singer John McCrea, being an "egalitarian", encouraged the cheapskate serfs to invade the VIP section. Down came the skimpy, unguarded fences and the area in front of the stage was flooded.

"Stickshifts and Safetybelts" was another crowd favorite, but I have to say I most enjoyed their cover of the Gloria Gaynor hit, "I Will Survive". A great way to close the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com