Wednesday, October 10

Thank you, Radiohead.

I know I can always count on you to keep things interesting and you have not let me down.

Hats off to the most fascinating band making music right now for thumbing their nose at the record industry and their antiquated idea on record distribution by putting out an album--for which millions of fans have been waiting five years--themselves...for download only...for free, and essentially relying on fans to voluntarily drop a donation into the hat to pay for the album.

Although it was only a matter of time before something like this happened, Radiohead's move is nonetheless incredibly important for many reasons. Above all else, though, it means the days of the big record company are numbered. The past ten years have shown that the major record companies rarely have anything to offer small up-and-coming artists. And now one of the biggest bands on the planet is proving they don't need a record company either.

But far more interesting is the effect that this act has had...on me! I haven't been this excited about a new release in quite sometime, and it appears that the new album is having the same effect on others as well. My enthusiasm for music has been restored. I have once again been spending a ridiculous amount of time browsing music blogs and trolling for videos on YouTube, particularly in regards to all things Radiohead.

With the album coming out today, I have set aside my evening to do something I haven't done in a long time: sit quietly listen to an album from beginning to end. I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com