Monday, August 9

Argh. Three paragraphs into my concert review, I had an internet failure and lost it all. I want to cry. I will nonetheless soldier on and attempt to recreate the masterpiece I started. So here goes...

Friday night was the stuff dreams are made of. Beth and I saw Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown, NY and it was everything we dreamed. Since Beth and I are both big fans of both Bob and baseball, this trip was a hajj, of sorts, for us. (FYI: For the uninformed, Cooperstown is the home of the Baseball Hall of Fame.)

It was a picturesque setting for a concert. Doubleday Field (the supposed location where General Abner Doubleday invented the game of baseball) is located smack-dab in the middle of Cooperstown, an adorable little town nestled in the rolling hills of the rural Oneonta region of New York state. The field is bordered on two sides by homes, so there were several backyard barbecue parties going on where people were gathered to listen to the concert from the comfort of their own backyard. The generous concert promoters (obviously not Clear Channel) have also, for this tour, permitted children under 12 to attend for free when accompanied by a ticketed adult, so the concert had a decidedly more "family" feel to it than usual Bob outings. Now when I say it had a "family" air, I mean that it was an alcohol-free show with a cross-generational crowd. I do NOT mean that it was lovely evening spent sitting on a blanket in the grass like some sort of symphony-in-the-park event, much to the chagrin of several groups near us. But more about that in a later post I intend to title "Dos and Don'ts of General Admission: Discovering Whether General Admission Is Right for You".

Opening act Hot Club of Cowtown turned out to be an excellent choice to warm up the crowd. Every member of the country-tinged, gypsy jazz/swing trio was grinning like they were filming a Crest White Strips commercial. I found their saccharine presence rather grating at first until I reminded myself that I'd be grinning ear-to-ear too if I was opening for Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson. Heck, I'd be grinning ear-to-ear if I was coiling microphone cords for Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson. Anyway, HCC was a talented crew with enthusiasm to spare (see above) which was just what was needed to get the crowd up and moving.

Willie Nelson and band followed soon after with setlist packed full of hits. Even though he wasn't able to show off on the guitar much due to his difficulties with carpal tunnel, Willie's voice sounded amazing and his interpretations were well-rendered. I must admit that my ability to enjoy much of this set was hampered by the fact that one of my contact lenses rolled up and planted itself under my eyelid. The discomfort got to be a little distracting at times. However I do remember being especially moved by Nelson's interpretation of "Me and Bobby McGee".

But I was really there to see Bob. And as always, I was not disappointed.

This was my ninth Dylan show and easily one of my favorites. It's been my experience that Dylan performs much better when he's got a good general admission crew right in front of the stage and Friday night's performance provided more supporting evidence for my theory. Dylan and band ripped and roared through a stellar setlist that included several surprises, not the least of which was a rocked-out version of "Drifter's Escape" so powerful I didn't even recognize it. Dylan's performances seem to slowly be taking on more of an edge, gradually getting heavier and darker and it suits his gravely, cantankerous, road-warrior persona quite well. I'm wondering if he's got another album in the works because I'd love to see what kinds of songs this stylistic turn is inspiring.

A reworking of "Girl from the North Country" was unexpected, and absolutely gorgeous. It was followed immediately by a sizzling rendition of "Cold Irons Bound", a song I love more every time I hear it. Dylan's new guitarist, Stu Kimball, was a great addition to the group, which seemed to be the strongest I've seen it yet. I know Beth misses looking at Charlie Sexton, but I'd have to say that Kimball and his playing style work better with the increasingly impressive Larry Campbell than anyone I've seen previously in the spot.

I could go on all day about this show, but I'll cut the chase. Concert highlight: I loved the way Dylan and band tore through "All Along the Watchtower" but I'm going to have to give it to "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" for totally knocking my socks off by appearing in the setlist in the first place and then rocking like nobody's business. Second place: The guy from Albany standing next to me who tried to impress me with his Bob Dylan knowledge. Dude, you're way out of your league, but I'll give you an A for effort and a few bonus points for having seen Don't Look Back. But for future reference, I'd advise a different strategy for trying to get my phone number. Worst part: whining general admission amateurs. But again, I intend to cover this in another post.

I'm thinking about trying to catch another show on this tour. I've half a mind to run off and try to catch the guys in Altoona tomorrow night, but I have a feeling responsibility will win over. I hate being a grown-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com